Library Contact Information
Phone: (323) 241-5235
|Tim Ream||Librarian||(323) 242-5536|
|Deborah Farber||Librarian||(323) 241-5086|
|Parisa Samaie||Librarian||(323) 241-5410|
|Herbert Cobbs||Adjunct Librarian||(323) 241-5235|
|Gabrielle Arvig||Adjunct Librarian||(323) 241-5235|
|Patricia McCollum||Adjunct Librarian||(323) 241-5235|
|Shohreh Zandieh||Adjunct Librarian||(323) 241-5235|
|Felicia Bell||Library Technician||(323) 241-5235|
|Kevin Casey||Library Technician||(323) 241-5235|
|Charles Garcia||Library Technician||(323) 241-5235|
|Domingo Gomez||Library Technician||(323) 241-5235|
LASC Library Study Room Policy
The LASC Library currently has nine rooms available to be reserved for group study. All study rooms are located on the 3rd and 4th floor of the Library.
Study Room Reservation Time Periods
- Maximum time allowed is 2 hours.
- Depending on the level of demand, students may reserve additional study room time.
- Rooms must be occupied within fifteen (15) minutes of the onset of the reservation. After fifteen minutes have passed, the rooms may be occupied on a first-come, first-served basis until the next reservation goes into effect.
- All keys must be returned 15 minutes prior to Library closing.
- Study rooms are only for current LASC students with valid student ID
- Solo individuals are prohibited from using a study room
- Group study rooms are for group study only
- A group is defined as 2 or more individuals
- Maximum number of students is 6 per room
- Signs, etc. cannot be posed in a study room
Study Room Reservation Procedures
- Reservations must be made in-person at the Library Reference Desk using a current LASC Student ID.
- The student placing the reservation will be given a key to unlock one of the Library’s study rooms. This key must be returned to the Reference Librarian on duty at the end of the room reservation period.
- The keys to the study rooms and a must be returned 30 minutes prior to library closing time
- Keys cannot be taken out of the library. A $10 fee will be charged for lost study room keys. The fine will be added to the user’s library record.
- If the study room user is late for their reservation, the study room will only be held for 15 minutes past the time the room was booked, afterwards the reservation will be subject to cancelation.
Unreserved Study Rooms
- No unreserved study rooms are allowed
Before Leaving Study Rooms
- Throw away your trash
- Push in chairs
- Close the door
- Erase whiteboard
- Return the key and any other items checked out to the Reference Librarian on duty.
Disruptive or Inappropriate Behavior
- Library Staff will monitor study room reservations and behavior.
- Any study room user causing unruly or disruptive behavior will be asked to stop creating a disturbance. If the behavior continues, LASC Campus Police will be called to remove study room users from the Library.
- Books, bookbags or other belongings may not be left in a room to "claim" or "hold" the room. The Library Staff reserves the right to remove items from an unoccupied study room. Belongings may be claimed at the Circulation Desk, Lost and Found.
- The Library is not responsible for personal belongings.
- Do not move furniture in or out of the study room.
- No sitting on tables or floors.
- No sleeping.
- Lights must remain on at all times.
- No food or drink in any rooms in the Library (Exception: bottled water).
- No loud talking. Even though you are in a room, load voices can be easily heard through the walls.
- No loud music or excessive volume levels from laptops, phones or other personal devices.
- No cell phone conversations. Please set your phones to “silent” while in the Library.
LASC Library staff reserves the right to make exceptions to this policy at any time.
Library staff reserves the right to cancel reservations at any time for any reason.
Reserve Checkout Policies
- A valid LACCD photo ID is required to checkout reserve materials/textbooks.
- LASC students have priority over students from other LACCD campuses.
- Reserves are based on a first-come, first-serve (no holds for anyone) basis.
- Borrowers agree to return items on or before the date and time specified by staff.
- Loan period is for 2 Hours and is LIBRARY USE only unless otherwise specified.
- Renewals are available, but not guaranteed for many reasons, including high usage, and lack of additional copies.
- Items must be renewed in person and you must bring the book with you.
- If returned late, a fee will be assessed ($2.50 per hour), and a hold is placed on your college record.
- If a hold is placed, it will prevent a student from registering, adding/dropping classes, and receiving grades, transcripts or diplomas (California Education Code Section 72287).
- If an item is lost, borrower must pay lost and late fees plus a $10 processing fee.
- Reserve Desk closes 15 minutes before the library closes. All checked out items must be returned by this time.
Computer Use Policy
- The LASC Library is equipped with numerous desktop PC computers. We also provide access to 2 iMacs.
- All of our PC computers come equipped with basic Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and access to the Internet.
- Desktop computers are available for student use on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Library.
- Computers on the 3rd floor of the Library do not have printing capabilities at this time.
- Computers are available on a first-come-first-serve basis. Students must log-in using their student ID # and password (see Circulation Desk for assistance).
- Computer facilities are for educational and research purposes only.
- Please do not play games, chat, or view streaming video for non-educational or research purposes.
- If there are other students waiting to use a computer, please limit your session to 30 minutes.
Library computers are primarily for LASC student and faculty use. Depending on availability, limited access will also be granted to Library visitors under the following conditions:
- Priority will always be granted to LASC students and faculty.
- Visitors can be asked by a Librarian or Library Staff member to give up their spot at a computer to a student or faculty member.
Headphones are available for checkout to students with a current LASC Student ID. Please use headphones when accessing materials on Library computers that involve elevated volume levels.
Los Angeles Community College District policy forbids accessing material that could be offensive or disturbing to others on college computers. This includes, but is not limited to, adult content (either graphic or textual), music or sound effects.
Computer Settings and Programs
Users may not manipulate, reconfigure, or delete standardized computer settings or programs. Users may also not install programs onto computer hard drives.
Forfeiture of Rights
Violators of these policies may forfeit their rights to computer access in the Library.
Librarians and Library staff members can help you in limited ways, but we do have other responsibilities. If you have never used Microsoft Office or the Internet, we suggest taking an introductory course that will introduce you to these skills.
Reference librarians answer questions about:
- Courses and curriculum
- Online Library resources (eBooks, databases, Library website)
- APA/MLA style guidelines
Circulation staff and student workers answer questions about:
- Log-on procedures
- Paper restocking, paper jams
- Lost print card value or coinage
- Basic Microsoft Office procedures
If you need your file for later use, please save your file on a USB drive (also known as a flash or thumb drive), or on an internet/cloud-based account, and not on the computer's desktop. Files saved to the desktop (or any other location on the computer), are erased on a nightly basis.
The LASC Library does have access to WiFi networks for student and faculty use. Please see the Librarian or Library Staff member for assistance logging in.
Librarians and staff members are not responsible to help with in-depth document preparation, advanced Microsoft Office procedures, or other computer-related instruction beyond a basic level.
The Library is not responsible for lost data. All of our computers are erased on a nightly basis of all user data, including documents and assignments. Please save your work to an external drive (or online source) to prevent data loss.